With the state starting to slowly open, I thought it was only appropriate to share some of our local favorite places to eat and shop. My husband and I both grew up in Fairfield County, CT. When we got married and were thinking about our future family, we wanted a town that was obviously reasonable to drive to walk. We also wanted a town that had a sense of community and great places to shop and eat. We’ve lived in Newtown for the past year and a half and we could not be happier! Here are some of our favorite local places within driving distance to Newtown. Be sure to check out websites or call first before you go to make sure they are in fact open! Most of these places are offering curbside pickup and delivery, as well.
Places to Eat:
- Farmhouse Restaurant-Newtown-Farmhouse has amazing farm to table food with gluten free options! Love their burgers!
- Reverie Brewing Co.-Newtown-This is one of our go to Sunday spots. Their beers are amazing and they have food trucks you can order from that are incredible. Family friendly place! We usually get their IPAs, but they’re always brewing new beers! We love doing flights there, too. They are offering delivery right now.
- Note Kitchen-Bethel-Probably some of the best drinks and food that we have ever eaten. Their food is farm to table as well with amazing seasonal combinations that you will leave you wanting more. Get the brussels sprouts when in season!
- Ferris Acres Creamery-Newtown-Hands down, the BEST ice cream you will ever have. The best ice cream cakes, milkshakes, soft serve, scoop ice cream, you name it, the best you will ever have. I promise. I usually got the smores sundae, but they discontinued it a couple of years ago. I recreate it with all of the ingredients and gluten free sandwich cookies!
- Carl Anthony Trattoria-Monroe-They have the BEST balsamic calamari. It is unreal. We also love their pastas (they have GF) and our go to is usually their pizza because I’m obsessed with their gluten free veggie pizza. We got it last night!
- Foundry Kitchen and Tavern-Sandy Hook-Foundry is SO much fun to go to for drinks or dinner. We’ve been for both! It’s right on the river, too, so a lot of fun to hang out during the summer!
- Valencia Luncheria-Norwalk-This place was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives a few years ago. Their arepas are incredible and I could eat the green sauce with a spoon. Parking is limited, so plan accordingly!
- Club Sandwich-New Canaan-They have the yummiest curry chicken salad wrap. Their food is fresh, delicious, and fast! We love going here when he have a work PD with an hour break! You can order from a set menu or build your own.
- Coalhouse Pizza-Stamford-Jeff and I used to frequent Coalhouse when I lived in Stamford. We even spent a New Year’s Eve there once! Their pizzas are so unique and the crust is absolutely delicious. The beer selection-amazing. SO many on tap!
Places to Shop:
- She La La-Greenwich, New Canaan, Westport-She La La has tons of adorable gifts and jewelry. Their staff is so friendly! You can even personalize some of their items!
- Splash of Pink-Westport-When I lived in Norwalk, I would go here all the time. Splash of Pink is an authorized Lilly Pulitzer retailer. They have great deals and their staff is SO helpful, too! I got so many skirts and dresses here, including my bridal shower dress!
- The Mason Jar-Monroe-Another really cute little shop for gifts, trinkets, and women’s clothing.
- Haus of Dog-Monroe-Okay, so I guess this isn’t technically a clothing or gift shop, but this is literally the best groomer we have ever used, hands down. We have been to MANY groomers and they know how to take care of our Aussies. They are especially sensitive to Lola’s hips and knees (she had surgery when she was a puppy) and that alone makes me forever grateful! The girls also smell AMAZING for days after and their coat is the cleanest I’ve seen it after they visit Haus of Dog! (Can we just talk about how the dog groomer is my longest comment here? Love them!) The girls also leave very cute bandanas each time.
- Pennyweights-New Canaan-Pennyweights is an adorable jewelry store that has been in New Canaan for as long as I can remember. They sell VERY affordable jewelry that truly stands up to the test of time. The ring I wear on my middle finger is from Pennyweights and I got it when I was 16 and could finally drive there myself. It’s 15 years old and if I recall correctly it was $7.25! Great for gifts!